Glen Keane, Andreas Deja e il futuro del 2D

E' lo studio d'animazione più antico ma anche il più vitale. Tutto comincia da qui, e continua ancora oggi portando l'arte dell'animazione verso nuove frontiere. La mancanza di un nome riconoscibile ha portato per anni il grande pubblico a confonderne le opere con quelle delle altre filiali Disney, ma adesso tutto è cambiato. Benvenuti nel Canone Disney.
  • E per la cronaca se n'è appena andata anche Claire Keane, la figlia di Glen.
  • A quanti siamo ormai? Sto perdendo il conto.
  • Da Floyd Norman (ex-animatore Disney e blogger famoso):
    Finally, not an interview ends without the mention of traditional hand drawn animation. “Do you think it will ever return,” they ask? “And, when will that be?” I always answer, hand drawn animation will return to the big screen one day, however, it won't be anytime soon. My guess is the public will begin to yearn for this marvelous art form once they realize what they've lost. When this happens, I guarantee that this marvelous art form will make a comeback. However, don't hold your breathe because we're at least a decade away from that ever happening.
  • da Jim Hill:
    Glen Keane ha scritto:I'm just about to start a little company. Glen Keane Productions. I'm starting very small with animation, drawings and the like. I'm about to start working on a new project that I really can't start talking about yet. But I've got some ideas.
    No. Sto split non s'aveva da fare, anche perché è il tipico split che tanto al prossimo mutar della marea viene meno e si ricompone. Solo che questa volta Keane è VECCHIO e il mutar della marea sarebbe chissà quando.
  • Eh, ma appunto perché è vecchio, non può aspettare il decennio di cui ha parlato Ffloyd Norman.
    Deboroh troppppppppo Web 2.0!
    Nerdlandia - Facebook - Blog - Flickr - Youtube
  • Oh quindi Claire va a lavorare da papà?
    E magari anche Kahr?
    Cmq io la cosa la vedo bene... Keane vuole fare dell'animazione 2D sperimentale, innovare il medium quanto più. E a breve termine non farà concorrenza alla Disney, anzi magari, se riesce a riscuotere successo, potrà farla svegliare. Perchè ormai si è capito che queste spinte non possono nascere dall'interno dello studios!
  • Nello studio imho le spinte ci sono...ma per la CGI. I WDAS la stanno reinventando da capo la CGI e da un certo punto di vista capisco che in questo periodo ci si siano focalizzati. Per quanto Pixar e soci l'abbiano evoluta, si sono sempre limitati a evolverla come EFFETTO SPECIALE. Pelo di Sulley, capelli di Merida, fotorealismo di Blue Umbrella e via dicendo. I WDAS no, hanno preso in mano la CGI in un periodo in cui era ancora votata al concetto di pupazzetto e ci stanno soffiando dentro la vita, prendendo a piene mani da ciò che hanno imparato dal 2D.

Ecco perché comunque penso che andarsene da parte di Keane in questo periodo sia a dir poco terribile, perché priva i WDAS e la loro CGI di qualcosa, e dall'altro lato non penso possa neanche ribaltare la situazione col 2D, visto che non mi risulta esistano davvero ambiti competitivi in cui impiegarla. E francamente Adam and Dog aveva forti problemi narrativi.
  • Valerio ha scritto:Nello studio imho le spinte ci sono...ma per la CGI. I WDAS la stanno reinventando da capo la CGI e da un certo punto di vista capisco che in questo periodo ci si siano focalizzati. Per quanto Pixar e soci l'abbiano evoluta, si sono sempre limitati a evolverla come EFFETTO SPECIALE. Pelo di Sulley, capelli di Merida, fotorealismo di Blue Umbrella e via dicendo. I WDAS no, hanno preso in mano la CGI in un periodo in cui era ancora votata al concetto di pupazzetto e ci stanno soffiando dentro la vita, prendendo a piene mani da ciò che hanno imparato dal 2D.

Ecco perché comunque penso che andarsene da parte di Keane in questo periodo sia a dir poco terribile, perché priva i WDAS e la loro CGI di qualcosa, e dall'altro lato non penso possa neanche ribaltare la situazione col 2D, visto che non mi risulta esistano davvero ambiti competitivi in cui impiegarla. E francamente Adam and Dog aveva forti problemi narrativi.
    nono ma io parlavo proprio del classico 2D. Si diceva che Keane volesse fare proprio un film indipendente molto artistico e che addirittura voleva fare corti con la tecnica del carboncino animata... ovviamente sono tutti esperimenti "inutili" per la Disney contemporanea... :( Ora invece si potrà sbizzarrire!
  • Ma il problema resta comunque quello di trovare un ambiente che ti sia strumenti e fondi. Cosa davvero poco banale. La Disney darà poca (?) libertà artistica, ma dà tutto il necessario.
    Lorenzo Breda
    Website | Google+ | DisneyStats | deviantART

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
    Hobbes, Calvin&Hobbes

[No bit was mistreated or killed to send this message]
  • Forse tutto sommato l'ipotesi che molti artisti stiano lasciando la Disney per poter dirigere film e/o dedicarsi a progetti sempre più personali potrebbe essere fondata:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109980

Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly to Direct Angry Birds
    Source: Rovio Entertainment
    October 9, 2013 Tweet22 0
    Rovio Entertainment announced today that Fergal Reilly and Clay Kaytis will direct Angry Birds, the upcoming 3D CG-animated film based on Rovio’s bestselling app. The film is being produced by John Cohen and Catherine Winder and executive produced by David Maisel; the screenplay is by Jon Vitti. The movie is slated for a July 1, 2016 release and will be distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures.

Reilly and Kaytis are both animation veterans, making their directorial debuts with Angry Birds. Kaytis began his career as an animator at Walt Disney Animation Studios. In his 19 years at Disney, he served as animation supervisor of Tangled and the follow-up short, "Tangled Ever After." He also conceived and oversaw the end credits sequence of Wreck-It Ralph and animated on that film; in addition, he was the supervising animator of the character Rhino in Bolt. Kaytis also animated on the upcoming film Frozen and the Oscar-winning short, "Paperman." Reilly joined Sony Pictures Animation in 2003 as a storyboard artist, contributing to the films Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Hotel Transylvania and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. He was a director and Head of Story on several development projects at Sony Pictures Animation. Previously, Reilly was a storyboard artist on films including Spider-Man 2 and The Iron Giant.

Commenting on the announcement, Rovio Entertainment CEO Mikael Hed said, "I'm very excited that Fergal and Clay have joined us, bringing with them their vast expertise. They are two of the brightest rising talents in animation, and I'm confident we are building the right team to tell the story of Angry Birds and deliver an amazing movie experience to our fans."

Producer John Cohen commented: "David, Catherine and I are thrilled to welcome Fergal and Clay to the Angry Birds filmmaking team. They both have an extraordinary range of talents, and we're looking forward to working with them to bring the birds and pigs to life on the big screen."

"Angry Birds" is one of the world's biggest entertainment franchises, starting in 2009 with the original mobile game that remains the number one paid app of all time. "Angry Birds" has expanded rapidly into entertainment, publishing, and licensing to become a beloved international brand.

The upcoming movie marks Rovio's first foray into feature films, although fans have already been introduced to the "Angry Birds" world with the weekly "Angry Birds Toons" animated series. Rovio launched the series in March through its Angry Birds apps, as well as on select video-on-demand channel providers, Smart TVs, connected devices, and on select TV networks around the world. Paving the way for a full-length feature film, "Angry Birds Toons" has been a massive success for Rovio and has surpassed more than 1,000,000,000 views in its first seven months. In addition, Rovio successfully launched a sequel in the "Angry Birds Star Wars" saga in September accompanied with Hasbro's Telepod toys. The game immediately topped app store charts in over 100 countries.
  • Da Cartoon Brew:
    British department store John Lewis has released an ambitious annual Christmas advertisement, a £1 million hand-drawn spot with stop motion backgrounds called The Bear and the Hare. The piece was directed by Yves Geleyn and Elliot Dear through Hornet/Blinkink.

The hand-drawn character animation was created by two veterans of Disney’s former animation studio in Orlando: Dominic Carola who runs Premise Entertainment and Aaron Blaise who gained plenty of experience drawing bears when he co-directed Brother Bear. Aaron offered some details to Cartoon Brew about the project:

“I designed all of the characters while Dom and I supervised all of the animation. I personally animated all of the Bear and the Hare while Dom and his crew animated the rest of the animals. It was taken all the way through final line at Premise in Orlando. It was so great to do 2D again! I was even working on paper at my old Disney animation desk! Something I hadn’t done since Brother Bear!“

CREDITS
    Executive Producers: Bart Yates, Michael Feder
    Producers, Bart Yates, James Stevenson Bretton, Josephine Gallagher
    2D Animation: Premise Entertainment LLC
    2D Animation Supervisors: Aaron Blaise, Dominic Carola
    2D Animators: Erin Humiston, Darko Cesar
    Head of Clean-up 2D Animation: Janelle Bell-Martin
    2D Clean-up Artists: Mi Yul Lee, Teresa Quezada-Geer, Jacque Pierro, Chad Thompson, Jason Peltz
    2D Compositor/Scene Setup: Mac Masters
    2D Artistic Coordinator: Pam Darley
    2D Digital Artist: Anthony West, Enoc Castaneda
    2D Lead Colorist/Coordinator: James Lancett
    2D Colorists: Sean Weston, Joseph Sparkes, Frankie Swan, Harriet Gillian
    Assistant 2D Colorist: Lila Peuscet
    2D Illustrator Technician: Albert Sala
    Printers: The Graphical Tree
    Laser Cutting: Ewen Dickie
    Designer/Typographer: Robert Frank Hunter
    Storyboard Artists: Sav Akyuz, Steve Tappin, James Lancett, Robert Frank Hunter
    3D Technical Director: Patrick Hearn
    3D Previsualisation Artist: Simone Ghilardotti, Lucas Cuenca, Johannes Sambs
    Lead Stop-Frame Animator: Andy Biddle
    Stop-Frame Animators: Daniel Ojari, Daniel Gill
    Production Designer/Supervising Modeller: John Lee
    Art Department Modellers: Colin Armitage, Sonya Yu, Maggie Haden, Collette Pidgeon, Yossel Simpson Little, Richard Blakey, Gary Welch, Christy Matta, Lucy Begent
    Scenic Painters: Fiona Stewart, Beth Quinton
    Rigging Department: Richard Blakey
    Art Department Assistants: Morgan Faverty, Anna Ginsburg, Jennifer Newman
    MOCO/Camera Assistant: Max Halstead
    Director of Photography: Toby Howell
    Gaffer: Aldo Camilleri
    Runner: Robert Gould
    Post Production: Blinkink Studios
    Post Production/Compositing: Alasdair Brotherston, Ian Sargent, Carlos Diego, Jonathan Gallagher, Elliot Dear
    Editors: Sam Sneade, Ellie Johnson
    Sound Design: Sam Robson at Factory Studios
    Colorist: Jean-Clement Soret at MPC

L'ho trovato caruccio. Design derivativo dall'orso grosso di Brother Bear, ovviamente, e la canzone era la stessa del trailer di Winnie the Pooh, il che fa anche piacere. Certo, non era fluidissima, ma è stata comunque una cosa gradita.
  • Mi piace molto, soprattutto perchè gli animali non sono stilizzati. La camminata dell'orso è un pò scattosa, mentre il vole degli uccelli è molto grazioso. Che bello, mi piacerebbe un lungometraggio con questo stile sobrio.
  • Adorabile davvero, tra l'altro mi sembrano perfettamente integrati i personaggi animati sugli sfondi reali :)
  • Da Twitter:
    Q: With Get a Horse finally completed, what are the plans for Disney veteran Eric Goldberg?

Eric Goldberg: Right now I'm doing some work for the theme parks, and exploring some further shorts ideas.
  • Per noi morti di fame ecco che esce un po' di 2D Disneyano realizzato nientemeno da Goldberg e con gli standard characters. Peccato che si tratti solamente di uno spot di pochi secondi per uno spettacolo di Disney World. Meglio che niente però.

La cosa importane è che Eric resti dentro, sia pur con piccole cose. Si fa sempre a tempo poi ad erodere terreno una volta conquistato un angolino tutto tuo...
  • NOTIZIA SUCCOSISSIMA!!!!
    Sembrerebbe che presto verrà annunciato il prossimo progetto di Keane! Per ora qualche rumor insieme a una bella sorpresa.. Windy Day diretto da una certa vecchia conoscenza Jan Pinkava!

Ma andiamo con ordine:
    Exclusive: Glen Keane Might Be Working for Motorola
    By Amid Amidi on Friday December 13, 2013 4:46 pm
    Comments 13

Is Glen Keane’s next animated project set up at smartphone manufacturer Motorola? The Google-owned company certainly wants you think so. I received a cryptic email this afternoon from Motorola…well, actually from “Pepe the Mouse,” who is the star of the company’s interactive motion-controlled short Windy Day directed by Jan Pinkava. The email had the subject line “My Friend Glen Keane.”

The email read in part: “It’s getting close to the holidays and all through the house, only one creature was stirring aside from this mouse.”

The “creature” was the above pic of Glen Keane, hard at work. Keane resigned from Disney in March 2012, after working at the company for 38 years.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/ex ... 92626.html

Scavando un po' più a fondo, Windy Day è un corto animato interattivo con realtà aumentata... in sostanza è l'utente che, muovendo il cell, muove la camera e, a seconda degli ambienti, la storia cambia (in questo senso sarebbe interattivo), almeno per quello che ho capito.
    Qui un esempio

Ora non riesco a trovare da nessuna parte di che tecnica si tratti, a me pare CGI... e Glen, dovevi lascià la Disney per fa ancora CGI? Ripartendo da zero dalla pubblicità? Magari sarà un'altra cosa! Ce lo auguriamo!

Qui altre info su Windy Day:
    http://motorolaspotlightstories.com
    http://www.studiodaily.com/2013/11/pixa ... windy-day/
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola ... ar_id48829
  • Tecnicamente e registicamente è molto ben fatto. Contenutisticamente non è niente di che. E' CGI renderizzata come 2D ad ogni modo.

E, sì, fregancazzo della libertà artistica etc etc, è ai WDAS il suo posto, non alla motorola.
  • Q: So what is done 2D right now, if anything [at WDAS]?

Dale Baer: Nothing.

Q: Boards?

Dale Baer: Just tests for character riggers for CG.
    www.thecornerbooth.net
  • SDENG!
  • Torna a “Walt Disney Animation Studios”